Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Assembly Language Extasy

One thing about me: If there's ever an excuse to write assembly language, I'll take it and automatically try to shut down everything else. I did it about a year ago, when a friend needed some help with a bubble-sort-in-x86 assignment; I wrote it for him and then started writing everything in assembly language, including Space Invaders.

In messing around with the BIOSes of both chips, I've found that my focus has lacked a bit on the actual emulator. For instance, I made a stupid mistake in the memory manager; for each possible chip, I check to see if the address I'm trying to access can be accessed by this chip. I hacked together a quick two-register chip, and failed to write this validation function correctly (twice).

This sort of focus lapse is common when something is exciting, you just have to continue to remember why you're writing what you're writing, and on that focus, start to pick out the challenges and concentrate on them. I'm doing that just fine with assembly language, and the challenge it presents is an easy distraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment